Clean eating Challenge basics to get started taking care of yourself and have more energy.
What is Clean Eating?
Staying away from processed foods, or as I like to say, anything that comes in a bag, box or can with more than three ingredients. Adding more whole foods into your diet, for example, Fresh vegetables, leafy greens, whole grains, healthy fats and lean proteins your body will respond quickly and thank you.
About three years ago I decided I didn’t want to have medicine rule my life and well being. So I decided to change how I ate and replaced my medication with nutritious food that helps my body instead of hurting it. Yes, I had aches and pains everywhere, I think as you get older this is a given. But I wanted to give clean eating a try and see if this would help. At the time I was overweight, depressed and in pain, so I thought what do I have to lose.
Here is my before pictures from 2015. Where I finally decided to join my first challenge on Dietbet.com It’s a great site to use. You put your own money in, and you have to lose a certain percentage of weight. If you do you split the pot with all the winners. I think I won around 40 dollars that round.
Here are my pictures from today, April 2018. I’m still amazed that I kept it off. Sure my weight even fluctuates, I’m in my 50’s so as I found out it’s a lot harder to keep the BMI under control. We have so many things to deal with, hormones and stress are the biggest ones. My hormones were crazy when I first started, so if you’re having problems losing weight, I would go to your ob-gyn doctor and get your hormones and thyroid checked. Another thing I found out is the depression medicine made me bloated and probably had something to do with my weight gain.
What did I do to take control of my health?
For one I decided to take myself off my depression anxiety medicine. For over a year none of the pills they gave me was working and when they added additional medications to that and nothing still worked. First I found a new doctor one that would help you use food as my medication instead of pills. Second I started mostly eating unprocessed foods. Then put some exercise in the mix, with some fitness challenges.
This worked so well for me I lost over 50 pounds and felt so much better. It amazing how much better you feel when you get that weight off. Are you ready to change your eating habits? Let me know if I can help you in any way. – Stacey
Here are some of the clean eating tips I went by:
1. Replace unhealthy fats with healthier ones such as seeds, nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil and coconut oil. Healthy fats aid digestion and help to keep you satisfied longer.
2. Swap white rice, white bread, and potatoes for brown rice, whole grain or sprouted grain bread, red-skinned potatoes or vitamin-rich yams.
3. Fill your plate at least half full of veggies that are fresh and lightly steamed or sautéed.
4. Savor your food. Slow down when you eat. Taste each bite. Chewing slower will help your digestion, and prevent overeating which can tax the digestive system and age the body
5. Eat calcium-rich leafy greens at least three times a week, such as kale, Swiss chard, collard greens and spinach. This will ensure that your bones stay strong.
6. Be creative with your food. Find fun recipes that are healthy and pack a nutrient-dense punch. Check out Pinterest they have so many clean eating options that taste good. Follow me on Pinterest for some great ideas.
7. Drink plenty of pure, filtered water. At least 1/2 oz per every pound of body-weight. Staying hydrated is key in keeping our metabolism firing and energy up.
8. Eat only lean proteins that are palm-sized, such as wild-caught fish, free-range chicken or grass-fed beef or bison.
9. Eat a raw, leafy green salad every day to give your body plenty of fiber and roughage. Fiber helps keep things moving right along if you know what I mean.
10. Eat fruit instead of processed, sugar-laden pastries, cookies or candies. Eating fruit has natural sugar and fiber, so you will feel satisfied and still be able to have sweetness in your life as well as getting all the critical nutrients. Don’t go crazy with the fruits at the beginning if you’re trying to lose weight.
The bottom line is: Food is Health and Exercise is Fitness. You want both. Eating healthy and moving your body is the key to long, vital life. You also want to be sure you are taking care of your emotional life as well and thinking positive, happy thoughts. Help others, be of service, make human connections and see what changes happen in your life. Being a caregiver is vital to stay healthy for your loved ones, so please take care of yourself.
More tips for Caregivers
All the beautiful messages inspire me to keep on improving myself, so I can keep on helping others. Find something you love doing and put all your heart into it!All the beautiful messages inspire me to keep on improving myself, so I can keep on helping others. Find something you love doing and put all your heart into it! #caregiving Click To Tweet
Did you want to try clean eating for a week and see if this is for you? Then please join us by signing up below. Working together with like-minded people involving the same goals is so empowering when you help them with there wellness journey. We will be sharing recipes, daily inspiration and motivating each other every day. You can do this!
Note: Some of the links above may be affiliate links, which means that we may receive a commission if you decide to purchase through them. This is at no additional cost to you and merely helps us finance the free content supplied on our blog for our fantastic caregiving family!