Butternut Squash Soup – This simple homemade version of Butternut Squash soup is so comforting that it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This Winter has been so cold in the midwest this year, and so I thought I would experiment a little a find a way to make a delicious meal for my family that was healthy to fit into one of our meatless weekend meals.
This butternut squash soup is seriously fantastic and so creamy without all the fat of cream, I was really surprised at how easy this was to make, I thought I would be slaving over the stove all day but it was pretty easy, except cutting up that darn Butternut Squash, oh fun times. All I have to say is invest in an excellent chefs knife that is sharp and put some muscle into it or even better finds a willing manly man – hubby, son or neighbor to do it for you. They probably do sell cut up squash at the store, but I didn’t even think of that when I was grocery shopping.
One thing I do love about cutting up the butternut squash is the smell, oh lord they need to bottle that up and sell it. I was looking crazy inhaling the squash after I cut it open, but it smells so fresh like the Fall that it made me so happy. After being cooped up this house with the cold weather it just made me think of the fall and all the beautiful smells like hot cocoa, apple cider and rolling in the leaves. Smells can bring back a lot of great memories of your childhood and times of when my kids were little.
This is pretty simple to make you cut up butternut squash, carrots, celery, onion and cook them in butter and olive oil with the seasonings. When the squash is fork tender you add some vegetable broth, let it simmer and add a little milk or half and half for creaminess then blend it up put it back in the pot and warm it up, it’s that simple.
What do you think looks yummy, right and such a great addition to these cold winter days and nights, it will warm you right up. Here is the detailed recipe of butternut squash soup below, enjoy, and hopefully, this yummy soup will bring back some great memories of those snowy days as a child and your mom making a delicious lunch to warm you up. My mom always made grilled cheese and tomato soup oh and you cant forget hot cocoa with the marshmallows on top. Food has always been a significant part of my life especially now that I am older and have more time to experiment with new recipes.
Let me know what you think about this version of the butternut squash soup and if you added something to it to make it even more delicious!
butternut squash soup
A quick and healthy homemade butternut squash soup the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 1.5 to 2-inch cubes)- usually 1 medium sized squash)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups low vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chopped fresh chives and parsley (for garnish (optional))
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed butternut squash, carrots, celery, onion, and parsley.
Stir in rosemary and thyme; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the milk or half & half.
- Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the nutmeg and cinnamon
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve garnished chives and parsley.